Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Friday 18 April 2014

Knitting Adventures

This post is likely to be of interest only to me - and maybe my Mum who taught me how to knit... So feel free to move right along... 

Bette Davis and her stunt double



I'm not sure why people are so surprised when they see or hear about me knitting in Vientiane. I mean, it's not like it's a weird pastime. Even in Laos. Even when it's really, really hot outside.
I suppose we are used to thinking of this as a winter activity. Something we do when we are sitting in front of roaring open fires watching BBC documentaries. It's not something usually associated with hot, dusty Asian countries where jumpers and scarves are rarely needed and mostly unavailable.
Some Lao people do actually knit. And crochet. I've seen lottery ticket sellers crocheting as they sit at temporary tables at roadsides waiting for customers. I've seen shopkeepers clicking needles making hats to display next to Hawaiian shirts and boxer shorts. 
The now burnt-to-a-crisp yarn shops from the TKK market sold needles, yarn, instruction books in Thai and some simple little wooden gadgets that remind me of "knitting nancies".

I started knitting again (after about a 25 year break) around 18 months ago. Inspired by long trips on Melbourne trams, a desire to be doing something useful with my downtime and TV time that didn't involve a small screen in my palm and a general love of crafty stuff. I picked up the tools again.
Not in Laos - great pic though! (From Pinterest)
I was pretty crap but I kept going. I aimed lower. I got a bit better. It grabbed my heart. My fingers didn't stop. Even in public spaces.
Joel's beanie in progress at VangVieng
I packed some wool, needles and a couple of beanie patterns in my bags for Laos. Figuring there would be a lot of downtime in Laos I planned to learn how to knit well. Or at least better. I even borrowed mum's cable needle in a fit of high ambition.
I've managed to produce a fair whack of stuff. Some beanies, a couple of berets, a cabled cushion cover, a face washer. I even made a couple of soft toys.

Some of my beanies may be strutting Australian streets this winter.
This one may be seen at the G sometime this footy season

Bomber-loving nephew's selfie
This one is now in Western Victoria. I made a red one, too. It's in Bendigo. 
Rita Hayworth
I have learnt more than just how to knit. I have learnt that youtube videos when watched over and over again can teach me even tricky stitches. I have learnt about Ravelry.com and Pinterest and other sources of inspiration and education. I have learnt about magic loops, packs of five dpns, Kitchener stitches, toe-up and cuff-down. And I've learnt to persevere and unravel and try again until it's right.  
Learning to cable via youtube
Finished cabled cushion cover
 Yarn in Laos is 100% crap quality acrylic. I don't want to waste my energy on it.

One of the two yarn shops that burnt to a crisp in the TKK market fire in March 2014

So I asked visitors to stuff balls of luscious Australian wool into their suitcases...
Straight from the Bendigo Knitting Mill to Vientiane
Socks are my new thing. I have knitted a few pairs already and intend to become proficient. I'm not there yet. It's hard. I'm planning that by next Christmas some of the men in my family will be well socked. 
Socks for my nephew the Hobbit
This one didn't make the cut

Karen modelling dad's socks/knitted boots
These might be better with rubber soles

I'm working on it.  Despite the heat.



And here's a few more recent creations....



My recent trip home was an opportunity to see my handiwork in action




Update: Early September 2014:

 



 
 

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. You have inspired me to get my knitting out again and get started on my Noro hat

    ReplyDelete