Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Friday 1 August 2014

Running Like A Girl

Fifty, Fat and Fighting to Get Fit


Flitting into my head a few times after I arrived in Laos was the thought "now is a good time to run again".
 
 
There is a long paved area along the Mekong riverfront that closes to traffic every evening. The city turns out in trackies, some on wheels, others with toys and babies and dogs. Outdoor aerobics kicks off every night with many pumping, jumping, arm-swinging exercisers. It's quite a vibe.
 

Last time

I'd made a big effort a few years back, fought my own natural inclinations and trained to run again. I couldn't walk far when I started. I could hardly run for a tram. I worked hard, I forewent dinner invitations and went to the gym. I bought new shoes. I pretended no one was looking. It took almost a year to get there but eventually I could run for 5 kms. I felt fantastic.
 

Then I let it go, dropped the ball. I got a bit unfit again and quickly lost a lot of what I'd gained.

Passing the finish line back in the day
Not all of it, though. I still knew that I could do it! I'd done it once, I could do it again.
 

Doing it again!

Vientiane is mostly hot and it's not very inviting to sweat more than we already do. Just standing under a tree can generate a red hot glow. Running in this was going to be hard. Still, I knew I would have time this year. Time, and maybe even some running partners to keep me going. Plus look at those sunsets! Much more inspiring than a TV screen in a gym.
 
 

Off we go...

About 7 months after arriving I started to run. I hooked up with one of those podcast programs that told me when to run and when to walk. This time I couldn't find Robert and his techno music so I went with Todd (myrunningmate.com). (Or Tard as he become known)... (He has one of those drawling American accents).
 
 
I worked on a few friends to join me. It was the coldest Lao winter in years. It was January - dry season. The river bank was more and more exposed and paths along the river's edge appeared. It wasn't too hard to talk a few into coming along.
 
We started slowly. I think the others in this motley "running group" were a bit surprised at how slowly. We laughed and chatted about our days and enjoyed the view and the turn out of wanderers, riders and dog walkers along the Mekong.
 
These runners are doing laps in front of the National Assembly

A Pattern Emerges

Over the weeks we slipped into good habits. Meet at 6pm at the foot of the king and off we'd go. Either upstream or down; on the sand; on the footpath. Some ran ahead and up and down the flood wall steps while others plodded along with the "run a little bit, walk a little bit" approach. We increased the running bit and decreased the walking bit. Gradually we ran further and faster.
 
 
A few slip ups here and there, a skun shin, an aching ankle or two, a case or three of upset belly, a few coughs and colds interrupted the flow but we mostly persevered.
 
Sometimes Dr Luke would do a mini-marathon warm up beforehand so he would meet us already sweating. He was happy to jog along anyway and chat and push. Jorge and Elcira ran ahead and did stairs and short bursts, Clara would run and run, Camilla liked the walking bits, Ash came along and ran until it got far too hot, Steve sometimes walked as fast as I ran. I just kept plodding.
 

Hotting up

In March it started to get hot. A little too hot. We planned to meet later in the day and eventually started meeting in the mornings. This was a big effort for what were mostly evening people. Still we ran. Sometimes afterwards we ate and drank too. We felt sweaty and red-faced and hot and looked like hell but it was usually worth it. And dinner was often alfresco in poor lighting on the bank of the river, so looking crap was less of an issue.

 
Sometimes these gorgeous, supportive, friends-who-became-runners turned up and ran with me not because they really wanted to but because they knew if they didn't, I wouldn't. You can't buy that kind of support!

Duck and Weave

When we start our runs we duck and weave around food and drink vendors; women peddling flowers for people paying homage to the ancient king; mats displaying river weeds and vegies on the footpath. Sometimes there are fresh Mekong fish, snack trolleys with dried shrimp or meat balls on sticks and bins filled with ice and sugary drinks.

 
Once we get past the food we run through and around others until we are a little along the road. People stare or smile or even take our picture. Some try hard not to look and others step aside looking startled. I smile and puff and pant and nod at the women who laugh, the kids who stare and the men who just look confused.

 

Cool Runnings

I went home to an autumnal Victoria in May. I still ran. My breath was visible, the air was cold and clean. The views were still gorgeous. I think I ran more easily in the cold than I can here.
Sunset over Lake Weeroona, Bendigo

 
By the time most of my running group were leaving Laos I was doing level 7 of Tard's program and running for three lots of 20 minutes with a bit of a walk in between. Our main inspiration (Dr Luke) left for Hong Kong to start his training program for the Sahara Marathon. Camilla and Steve and I kept running. And then there was just Camilla and I. And sometimes Lenny.

Clara running in Sam Neua

Still Going!

I've kept running. Even when no one is waiting at the King for me, I still turn up. Sure, it's tempting to just throw on the air con, pour a wine and flop on the couch. VERY tempting most evenings. Then something or someone will remind me... I'm getting old. I have OK knees and spine so far. I should run while I still can.
 
 
So, here I am, 50, overweight and wobbly and quite slow. I ache sometimes and I overdo it sometimes. But I'm fitter than I have been for years. I can run for 45 minutes - non stop. My next goal is to run 5k in 45 minutes. It's not fast or far, really, not for experienced, fitter and younger runners. But it's a pretty long way from January. Unless I break another bone, get another gastro or just throw in the towel, I'll get there.
 
Soon I'll be running like I once did - a long, long time ago: strong, relaxed, back straight, ponytail bobbing, smiling, eyes unfocussed and mind turning... Running Like A Girl.

2 comments: