Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Saturday 3 August 2013

Lunchtime touring of the outer 'burbs

This post is basically to show a few photos of the outer 'burbs of Vientiane. First, let me explain...

I have wheels. I'm still enjoying the novelty. The bike is a bit, er, retro (as one person suggested). But it goes and goes and I enjoy the wind on my face and the opportunity to get out and about and see what's going on off the main roads.

the red rattler

Lunchtimes at work are often long and lazy. Several comrades have a regular system of taking naps at their desks. I've done that once or twice but lately have found something better to do with my time. I go motorbikin'!

If there's nothing else going on (shared lunches, lunch at the bosses restaurant, funeral or shopping to be done) I eat at my desk and then adjust my skirts and climb aboard the red rattler. Off to explore the outer 'burbs and the urban-rural interface of northern Vientiane.

So here's some photos of things that took my eye on one of these rides.


I watched a guy cut this tree down

This is the guy cutting down the aforementioned tree
 
Bummer of a place to be if you can't eat bread

Le Eiffel Tower - a la Laos Telecom

Of course. Penguins. Why not?

 A reminder
 
outer burbs slowly growing and paving


panorama - best viewed when clicked and enlarged



 
Vientiane under construction
 
Guard outside Department of Defence compound
 

 

I think New Zealanders own this company

Independence was won through war - and don't you forget it

A lake

the Lake House (without Keanu)

Rain threatening to ruin my lunch break (it didn't, though)

 



5 comments:

  1. Interesting. Do you need a licence to ride a scooter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you do - technically - but if they ever tried to enforce that law there'd be a revolution! I do have one but I doubt I'll ever be asked to show it.

      Delete
  2. why do you think NZers own that company - are you dissing me?

    ReplyDelete