Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Sunday 22 December 2013

My Christmas Letter to Friends and Family

Reluctantly (and yet with the usual delight in talking about myself), I have prepared a "Christmas letter" for the first time in my life.  Enjoy. Or don't. Whatever.

 
Thanks to all my friends, family and comrades who have provided me with the support, love, friendship and entertainment that have made 2013 less of a fuck-up than usual. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it; happy festivities to those just along for the ride; happy new year to all. May your version of happiness run freely through your homes and the corridors of your minds.
With love, Julie.


Here are some highlights of my 2013...
  • I decided to apply for a job in Laos and then shared my angst about money, packing, potential loneliness, career suicide, lack of access to good wine, etc. with anyone who would listen
  • I went to Port Fairy Music Festival again and it was fabulous 
  • I had some fun times with good friends
  • I worked with some gorgeous women at Iron Mountain for a while
  • I packed up my home and moved to Vientiane, Laos
  • I floated down a river in a tractor tube and felt at peace with bit of the world
  • I ate some amazing food
  • I drank too much
  • I perspired a lot
  • I napped at my desk
  • I despaired at the state of Australian politics
  • I stumbled over Lao phrases and sounds
  • I fell a little bit in love with a beautiful country filled with beautiful people
  • I turned 50 and had a fun party with some joyous people
  • I befriended a swag of amazing people
  • I discovered what happens to idealistic communism in the 21st Century
  • I learnt a lot of things
  • I did some religious rituals that I don't believe in
  • I took a lot of photos
  • I wrote a lot of stuff at work
  • I laughed a lot
  • I cried a little
  • My brother Brian came to visit and we had the best holiday together ever
  • My Mum came to visit and we had great fun too - even though we had a stack on my bike and I broke a bone and it hurt us both a lot
  • Faye and Karen visited and we did some fun things together and they helped me feel like I was just me-in-Brunswick again with their love and laughter
  • I spoke to friends and family far too rarely
  • I blogged sometimes
  • I wrote letters and emails sporadically 
  • I missed and thought of the people I love
  • I was in the right place at the right time.
See below for pictorial evidence... and below that a 'happy new year' quote that I always liked...

  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  

 
May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness. I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.
 
Neil Gamain
Circa 2001
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love summarizing my year in a Christmas letter as it reminds me how lucky I am to share my life with my wonderful friends and family. It reinforces that I am stronger for having survived the crappy moments in my year and gives me reason to smile as I reminisce the insane silly moments as well. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great letter Julie. It made me cry a little - as all nice things do. I love the quote at the end (and may steal it for future card writing). I hope your 2014 is as exciting, fun, and eventful as 2013 has been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a year. Thanks for sharing it with us and wishing you all the best for 2014. Here's to santa bringing you angry bird slippers (I note your summary photo collection is sadly lacking any ab reference) and may all stray animals stay out of your path. Jaunty Maxstead

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Jaunty. No AB pics! Just an oversight. And best wishes to you too for a good one in '14.

      Delete