Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Friday 3 January 2014

The Red Apron of Culinary Excellence


Almost every day in Laos I have seen these aprons. People cooking food, serving drinks, stirring noodles, doling out rice, pouring beer and even bosses counting their profits wear them.

They cover up a lot; they are worn by men and women, boys and girls; they are cheap; they advertise a Lao noodle soup company (or so it appears to me). They are bright, cheerful and everywhere. I kind of love them.



I have a theory that they are worn like a badge of honour: recognition of a level of achievement; an indicator of expertise in the hospitality industry. My theory has a lot of holes but I like the title...  "The Red Apron of Culinary Excellence"

Here's pictorial evidence to support my claim that these ubiquitous aprons are true Lao icons...

 
The sausage maker at the market wears one, and his spare is hanging against the wall


 The woman who barbecues fish wears one.
The fish cooker's brother has one

This woman...

Those women...
The money handler has one... 

This guy has one, too.

The green grocer wears one as she rushes around selling cucumbers...
Some have square logos...
Some have round ones.
This fish seller wears hers with a resigned but stoic expression.

Old guys have them.


Young fellas do, too.

 Uh oh!! There goes my theory about culinary excellence - hairdressers wear them

... and so do the Mak Beng  (floral offering) makers.
From a distance I thought these were the Red Aprons of Culinary Excellence but I see now they are mere copies - fakes - wannabes!  Beware of low quality copies.


Even my Dad wears one on Christmas Day (when skyping from Oz)

2 comments: