Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Thursday 23 May 2013

Dining and Drinking in Wieng Chan

Dining out has been an important preoccupation for we newly arrived folk in Vientiane (aka Wieng Chan). Sure, we know we can't eat like this forever (and still fit into a sinh) but it is only Week 1 and we are dedicated to developing a greater cultural understanding and appreciation for Laos people and their values. And what better way to learn, interact and discover than through those beloved past times - eating and drinking?

How lucky am I to have two colleagues equally as keen to develop greater cultural awareness through exercising skills in these fields?

So, to that end (cultural exchange and learning), we have been eating lots of fabulous Laos and Falang food around town. Often in the centre of town where the range of cuisines rivals Brunswick Street.

Here's a picture of a meal I ate today:
 Yep, that IS mashed potato (and salmon)
 
And here's the bill:
 That's the most expensive meal I have had all week ($10) Luckily, I wasn't paying.
 (Clara and Martin went with the cheaper chicken options)


Here's some more food I've eaten recently:
chicken curry something or other and tea
 
noodle soup

And some dessert:
(Martin's)
 
And some meals we have shared:
rice paper rolls

Tofu with pepper and mock pork (they were out of mock chicken)
 
Here's some food-like substance that I wanted to eat but didn't:
Krispy?
 
And looking at the menus around the town there are so many more opportunities ahead for us to learn, expand our understanding and develop a greater sense of Laos culture (and to eat lots of cool food).





I have also discovered, to my delight, that there is wine. Perhaps not great wine. I'm not sure yet. But many people know that I am not particularly fussy and have been known to buy Aldi wine at desperate times. I should be fine with this (if only I could afford it!)
 
 
 
 So now all I need is to find a cheese supplier and I'm set for the year ahead.


10 comments:

  1. It certainly looks like the food problem is not one! Glad you have good company too. So far so good! X Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many memories Julie. The photographer as ever. Kim x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More to come! Keep watching this space, Kim. The blogging fervour may not last long so I am going for it while I still feel like a tourist.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are having a fabulous time and getting the list of fine dining ready for all of your visitors. I'm expecting it to be fully refined by the time we get there. Missing you lots, especially when Criminal Minds is on. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually saw an ad for CM on the English language channel! And tonight I was telling a bunch of Canadians how beautiful Tofino is. They agreed. (You should have been there.) Canadians love to be told how polite they are.

      Delete
  4. How do you run out of mock chicken? Can't you just reshape some mock pork from pig to chicken shaped?

    Brother B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to Aldi tonight...will buy some wine & most you whilst drinking it!!! Anon....but you know who this is ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. All looks so exciting and fantastic fun. Missing you here at iron Mountain. Gill

    ReplyDelete