Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Sunday 26 May 2013

Paying For My Sinhs

This really is sinh city. Sinhs are everywhere. Women wear them on motorbikes, bicycles, to work, to market, in tuk tuks, in groups, to weddings, walking along dirt roads and running across busy streets. And soon I, too, will be wearing a sinh.


These sarong-like skirts are sometimes cotton, sometimes silk and, if you are not picky or wealthy, sometimes polyester. They usually have a strip of embroidered silk along the hem. The patterns often mean something. I don't know what yet, but something.



 
 
 
Clara and I were taken shopping through the fabric section of Talat Sao yesterday. It was confusing and hot and humid and noisy and we were grateful that Gai, our personal shopping assistant, had some idea of what to look for and how much to pay.

Once we got started it was hard to stop. Look at the choices we were faced with:




Although I am still not particularly pleased that I will HAVE to wear a traditional Lao skirt everyday to work for the next year, I'm kind of a little bit excited to have this gorgeous fabric swishing around me.

Leaning towards the conservative, I chose three pieces of fabric, all cotton, all gorgeous.
My original sinhs (boom boom!)

Clara made some gorgeous choices, too. They'll look stunning.
 
Clara worked out she spent $36 on all three (and the dressmaking won't add a whole lot more)
 
 We've been measured and now we wait...  (and worry about not having appropriate shoes).

8 comments:

  1. I love this fabric, photos please when your sinh are made

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabrics look beautiful Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see you swishing your way down the streets. Gill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less of the swishing, more of the chafing!

      Delete
  4. All look beautiful. When I was in Cambodia, I bought similar looking fabrics and made pants with them. Guess it isn't the 'done' thing. :). Yeah, yeah, philistine/tourist/yaboo.....etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, it must be hard stridding a bike while wearing a sinh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such colour!! You'll look fab. Jaunty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sins are not so pretty.

    ReplyDelete