Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Monday 20 May 2013

Getting here and getting wet


Yesterday I ate lamb roast for Sunday lunch in Bendigo.
Lamb roast at Dad's
 
I then crammed 40kg of stuff - some of which I may never use or need - into several borrowed bags and started the journey to Vientiane.
Lots of stuff

At the airport I shed some water from my face and walked through an imposing doorway to join a queue. On the other side Martin and Clara and I waited to fly.

Clara and Martin and me
 
We flew. We slept a bit. We ate. We fidgeted.
Flight Path
 
We arrived! It was hot. We looked at as much as we could as we were driven through the streets of Vientiane.

Vientiane

We arrived at our hotel and collapsed.
I love air con
 
View from my room
 
Some time later, with a plan that included a walk, some food and maybe a drink, we set off into a light rain and much cooler streets.

We passed some grass...
Passing grass

We walked through a triumphant arch.
 
We walked to the touristy side of town where there are restaurants, cafes, internet shops, ice cream shops and signs that promise me a massage for around $5. (Tomorrow).

The touristy side of town.

We found an almost empty but quite nice café, ate delicious meals and discovered that a bottle of Beer Lao costs around $1.88.

And after all that I am MORE than ready to sleep through my first night in my new home town.

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for the pix; I must say that I was grabbed right away by the photo of a Bendigovian roast; not what you expect to see first up on a blog about Laos.

    And for goodness sake, please never ever ever pass a grass. The consequences might be unthinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Lamb roast at dads. Awesome.
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the passing grass bit, that is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn that roast looks good! And thanks for transporting me from chilly Melbourne to warmer climes ... at least for a few minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent to hear you've arrived in one piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The adventure begins! Yey, Jules! Stay well and enjoy yourself - & I'm looking forward to seeing regular posts (witty or otherwise!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic you are off and running (well walking in the heat) when I saw the picture of the street I could hear the motorbike honking noises and smell the food...Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. practically free beer and massages!!! I'm there. Jaunty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear all is going well - the massage sounds great, the hotel looks comfy and lots of exploring to come!
    X Mum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to hear you arrived and all is good. Let the adventures begin. Enjoy as it is cold here and I even went to class but is not the same now. cheers and a lot more beers at that price. H

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ode to the three musketeers, blazing those trails before the rest of us join you for a beer in SinhCity. A far cry from the 6 degrees we had in Brisbane a couple of nights ago! We are sooo looking forward to getting there. Look out for a pair of lost South Americans on or after 15 June by the Mekong. CHEERS! Jorge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jorge, cant wait until you both arrive. We will have scoped out the cheapest Beer Lao and the best bar views by then! PS: Yes you can wear shorts!

      Delete
  12. Glad to see that you arrived safely. Take care. Neale

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't fall off any unroadworthy scooters whilst there.

    Ged

    ReplyDelete