Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Thursday 23 May 2013

To Market To Market

We've been eating very well. One of my first thoughts when I was pondering applying for this job was "Mmmm, Laos food". Not that I'm here just for the delicious food (the laap, stir fries, sticky rice, curries, tropical fruit, papaya salad, fresh fish, lime/chilli/coriander tastes) but it sure helps.


Apart from the breakfasts, (which, until yesterday morning's mini chicken drumsticks, have been a tad uninspiring), my meals have all been fabulous. And inexpensive. (Which makes them even more fabulous in my book.)
Drumsticks for breakky = inspiring

On Tuesday morning we went to the Morning Market. Apart from a zillion gorgeous sinhs and fabrics and dozens of Gangnam Style Tshirts & shorts sets, we saw some amazing food. Some of it looked delicious. Some, not so much. I'm planning to eat most of it.


 
Pig's Heads and Chicken Feet

Some type of bug or grub

Green vegies and herbs and chillies

Noses and ears. Water buffalo I think.

Hot, hot, hot!

Walking past food cooking on the street or at the front of restaurants just makes you hungry...

Fried chicken feet - on wheels
 
BBQ Fish
 

Sausages and sticks of stuff
 
 
More food


Obviously, I wont be going without good food. And there I was thinking I was going to lose weight over here... Damn.


7 comments:

  1. I was excited about eating my mid-morning peanut-buttered crumpet until I read this. Now I keep looking at it, then back at your pics, then back at it and sighing wistfully. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lunch at the Norman Lindsay Gallery in the Blue Mountains. Fabulous gallery and story in a beautiful setting but the hot chocolate and banana bread looks lame compared to your exposé of the market.
    P.S I now have a blog asf6@ blogspot. com. Have a look.
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum yum! great pix.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I was, totally uninspired about what to cook for the week. Buffalo ears it is!! :-)

    ReplyDelete