Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Saturday 8 June 2013

Glittering and Gleaming - Pha That Luang

These pictures are intended mainly for the other Julie S, who will get very grumpy if I don't post some glittery golden temple photos soon.

WARNING:  There are around 90 photos here and they might be quite boring for most. Feel free to just walk away and go put the kettle on.

I went to Pha That Luang this afternoon. It's full name translates as "World-Precious Sacred Stupa". I figured that while I am still feeling new and touristy, I should do some of the tourist attractions. This is not only a temple but a major symbol of Laos sovereignty (which in a country that no longer has a monarch seems like the wrong term to use).

The giant golden stupa on the hill was initially built on the site of a much older Khmer temple in around mid 1500s. This was around the same time that the Spaniards were killing off the South Americans, Elizabeth I was killing off her cousin Mary, and the English were inventing bottled beer.

The Siamese, Burmese and French have all had a go at pillaging and destroying. What's there now is kinda what it might have looked like back in the day.  I wandered around and took lots of photos.



















































































 
 

10 comments:

  1. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou Julie i just love the pics. Makes me feel nice and calm and now i want to meditate! Buddha pics my fav! Jul x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love the jolly Buddha too. jaunty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic pics Julie, looks amazing

      Delete
  4. P.S Ilove the buddhas..totally awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There'll be more sometime soon, I'm sure. So, Anonymous, watch this space.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful Julie - you haven't lost your eye for a good pic! It all looks very Thai - but different! I will look forward to more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly it, Mum: sort of the same, but different. The lack of information and unintelligible (by me) markings on the old statues (that I think should probably be in a climate-controlled museum)is like some we've seen before though. Gorgeous and precious and sitting in dust and cobwebs and lizard poo (as it probably has been for many, many years).

      Delete
  6. Starting to feel like I have already visited Vientiane with all your beautiful pics, great photo's. Kay xx

    ReplyDelete