Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Thursday 27 June 2013

Sad News

I came home tonight after an evening of exercise and fun with my new friends to find out that my boss died today - suddenly and unexpectedly.

She was young - maybe early 40s? Went into coma less than 2 days ago. I am not sure what happened. Possibly a brain haemorrhage.


She had kids. She laughed a lot. Often at me. On Tuesday, (the day she went into the coma) she thought it was hilarious that I had spent an hour getting to work because I took the wrong bus and had an unexpected trip around town. She told everyone. Several times.

Somphanh spoke pretty good English, had a great grasp on what was going on in the LFTU and was a great resource and support for me for the past 3 weeks. Our desks were close, she was in charge of my project. I was looking forward to getting to know her better. She has been telling me to stop eating sticky rice or it will make me fat.

Somphanh has worked for years on workers' welfare projects, HIV projects and was managing the training department at the Laos Federation of Trade Unions. She was well respected. She was a strong sister and advocate for bettering Laos workers' conditions.

It's really sad and a great loss to many.

Could have been any one of us. May you live long and prosper.



5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry Julie, my thoughts are with you and your colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Julie. Will call you later. Off to my first boot camp. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie that's very sad. Be very gentle with yourself. Take care Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very sad Julie, hope you are ok, lot's of love. Kay xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this. Condolences to you, your colleagues and her family. Sudden losses are so hard.

    ReplyDelete