Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Thailand for a day

Last Sunday we went to Thailand for the day. All three of us, Martin, Clara and I had to exit and re-enter Laos so our visas would tell the truth. So we made a day of it.

It was Martin's birthday so we planned a day of shopping and nice lunch. We started early, only to find it wasn't quite early enough. The 8am bus was fully booked. We waited for the next one.

20kms from the bus station in the centre of town is the Australian-built "Friendship Bridge" where you can drive across the Mekong. Here's a picture of the immigration checkpoint where we had to get off the bus, queue, fill in forms, pay some money, queue some more and get back on the bus.

Immigration - leaving Laos
 
Now I can't say I wasn't told
 
Then we crossed the Mekong into another country.
Welcome to Thailand
 
Am I just biased or does the grass seem greener on this side?
 
It kind of looks the same but it's different. The tuk tuks are prettier, the shopping centre is more modern and the shopping is cheaper.
Pretty Tuk Tuks

Modern, western-style shopping centre in Udonthani

Thailand even has Daddy Donut. Does it get any better?

We ate at a Korean BBQ restaurant that used a sushi train system. We cooked our food on mini barbies on our table. I'm not sure what I was supposed to do with the sliced mango though.
Korean BBQ train
 
Sushi and Korean BBQ for birthday lunch
 
So we shopped for a few things -I bought a hairdryer, shoes, handbag, I looked for clothes. I got fitted for a bra standing in the middle of a department store over my T-shirt in front of hundreds (or so it seemed). I spoke Thai and remembered words I haven't spoken in 15 years. I mixed some Lao in there by mistake but no one seemed to mind. Thais love a good laugh.

But the best find was a wool shop!  With real wool and knitting needles and crochet hooks! There was even a knitting class in progress. There were some mean looking cable knits in progress on that table. Outside it was a steamy 38 degrees - but that didn't stop those fast-flying needles. I chatted in Thai to the shop girl about cotton mixes and the price of wool and darning needles and it felt a little bit like home!
 
Wool! In Thailand

The knitting class in progress
 
Rushing home to the border crossing that evening we enjoyed a trip in this cute little vehicle:
Cute Thai Tuk Tuk
 
We got our visas, ran into a friend and travelled home in the back of a songteaw (little-truck thing with roof and seats in back). It was a big day, I was stuffed. But international travel can do that to you.
 

3 comments:

  1. Why were you in need of a hairdryer? Wasn't your very modern and efficient travel hairdryer good enough? Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, you are thinking of my very modern and efficient TRAVEL IRON that I have used and shared with others and am loving. Thank your Mum again for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day Julie. And good photos. Kim

    ReplyDelete