Sinh [sin] noun: Traditional Laos skirt worn by women all over the country.

Monday 17 June 2013

Miss Daisy No More

Today I had to catch the bus to work. First time. Being picked up and driven home from the office is a thing of the past. They think I should be able to cope now with making my own way to the outer northern 'burbs.

Despite my work colleagues worrying that I would get lost or not know how to or where to get on and off, I managed quite well.

And it's a great way to travel. The bus is air-conditioned, half-empty, cheap (3000K = 41c each way), fast (13 minutes) and easy.

I overshot my stop but really the bus will stop anywhere within reason. And then I had to watch out for motorbikes spinning past the open door as I stepped out.  It was a quick and uneventful trip to work. Easier than the number 8 tram to East Hawthorn, that's for sure!

Coming home was even better!!

Here comes the bus...
 
I gave the driver a wave and he pulled up with the back door perfectly aligned to where I was standing
 
Nice inside!
 
Clean, cool, half-empty, and with a distinct lack of screeching pop music or a TV with an annoying game show and no dorky 'hello kitty' fabric curtains. Gotta love it.
 
And the best bit is yet to come.....

I'm in the money!
 
I found 10,000 Kip on the floor!  TEN THOUSAND KIP! Do you know how much that is worth?
 
It's a good day.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Looks great. Unlike many buses in Asia and Middle East, these are clean and not crowded.

    ReplyDelete